Monday, November 27, 2006

White Trash Thanksgiving



Well, it is done. We did it up like the best of the white trash and had ourselves one mighty fine Thanksgiving. All kidding aside, I do think that our outdoor dinner was one of the best Thanksgiving dinners I have had. It was not stressful for anyone, and we all had a good time. There was not even too many spousal arguments which is a first for all.

Some funny things to note:

I bought this huge thing of cheese balls, from the Costco, because my kids ALWAYS ask for them, and I never get them. But, in keeping with the theme I thought these will add to the trashiness of the event. I opened them when we hit camp and were setting up camp (a prime spousal argument time which went off without a hitch). By the time we had dinner a few hours later they were gone. It was pretty gross to see all the grimy hands which had partaken. When I told Sarah I was brining cheese balls from the Costco, she thought I was bringing a large cheese ball as in cheese and crackers cheese. Clearly, she has not spent enough time with white trash.

The kids had their football game. The Pearsons, or the Tomball Trash as they named themselves, came complete with shirts. The Joneses and the Kenningtons each had a BYU shirt so it looked like they came prepared. Alas, the trash took it 3 TD's to 0. It was over at half time because the girls did not want to play with Ryan anymore he took it too seriously. For his part Ryan did not understand how you could NOT take a football game seriously.

The first night was so cold you had to put your head UNDER your sleeping bag to stay warm. The tent was not warm enough. It was even cold just sitting around the campfire. It was a long night. By night two, it had warmed up and we were able to play games - The Great Dalmuti. It was a great game since I was never dethroned as the Great Dalmuti, and continue in my reign (where is my lesser peon when I need him?)

There was a "yellow mountain" which the kids loved - especially the babies. It was just their speed. It was really just a reddish dirt which is now in everything and even after I washed the babies shoes it is still with us. Sarah took some photos of the kids on the mountain. I will have to post some later.

Eric and I were in charge of the Turkey Frying. You can see the pics of the three men working hard on the turkeys. I am not sure how it is that "Eric" claims he did the turkeys when I washed and prepped them and he just dumped them in the vat of oil (once the vat of oil was setup...) He did risk life and limb to dump the bird in the oil, so I guess that is fair. It was tasty and we even had one whole turkey left - note to self do not need three turkeys.

In true Clampett style we showed up with two vehicles - the truck packed to the gills (we even lost something along the way) and the Yukon. Maybe one of these days we can get a trailer or something to haul our "stuff" but for now we just divide and conquor. I had to take all the girls who required not one but two bathroom stops on the way home!

It was a great camping experience. The weather was great, the company was great and it made for a no stress Thanksgiving meal. There are some who are pushing for a Destin beach house next camping trip - I am game. I will always go to the beach. We will have to see what spring break will bring.

1 comment:

Jonah said...

Looks like fun!! I'm impressed with your scrap page!!!