Thursday, June 21, 2007

No More Stamina

Once upon a time, I was the mother of three darling children (and the fairy tale begins). We thought we could handle one more child, and the Lord saw fit to bless us with twins.

Since these were babies four and five, they went everywhere. I hauled that stroller and those carseats with me everywhere I went. I would even push the stroller and pull a cart at the grocery store. I was supermom.

Fast forward six years. I have a 16 year old babysitter, a 12 year old babysitter, a very responsible ten year old and two six year olds. I don't have to bring the little ones with me anywhere. There is always someone at home who can watch them. I am used to my freedom. It is bliss.

Well, this week both Ryan and Kelsey are at High Adventure and Girl's Camp. Let me just say I have LOVED the quiet. There has been no fighting. There has been no yelling. I have been no babysitters.

Yesterday, Sophie was at Rachel's house all day (they are moving on Saturday and I don't want to dwell on it for fear of sadness). Those two are having their last big thing this week. So, I had to bring the twins to the YMCA with me. Getting everyone ready and out the door on time took an act of congress. I had the complaints about not wanting to go to the YMCA, etc. I had to bribe them with Sonic afterwards. (especially since I did a double header and they were there over two hours)

Then I needed to go to the mall. So, for the first time in years, I had to take the two of them with me. They complained the whole time, their feet hurt, they were tired. Even a cookie did not totally satisfy.

See, while I have lost stamina, so have they. They are not used to working with me on my timeschedule. It is a shame.

Lucky for all of us, Kelsey comes home today, and Ryan on Saturday. Kelsey will be leaving again next week for Colorado. She will be gone a week and a half, so the responsiblity will fall on Ryan to work hard to make my life easier. Isn't that what being the oldest child is all about?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think that's why Marilyn had 8? hmmm...lot's of babysitters. I am looking forward to some free babysitting out of Cody in just a few years myself.

Tara said...

There's never a dull moment at your house! After dragging the boys all over town this morning I can't wait to raise some babysitters of my own!

Heather said...

Hunter is close, but not quite there. I did the mall the other day with everybody, good times!

Jonah said...

good thing they are so darn cute!!