Monday, February 19, 2007

President's Day, 2007

I am going to go on a rant, so if you are easily offended, or don't care, you should logoff now.

It is President's Day. My kids have school. They do not get President's Day as a holiday. Why do you ask does the school system in Houston not celebrate the births of our early presidents? Well, you see, they celebrate Martin Luther King JR day in January, and don't have any other days to take.

Here is my problem. I do not have a problem with my kids being in school today - as a matter of fact I am glad they have school. I do have a problem with Martin Luther King day taking precedence over Presidents Day. What message does that send? Who is the wing nut who made that decision? Why? Why? Why?

OK, rant over. It just, as my husband would say, chaps my hide. As the kids go to school today, I have two days worth of things to get done in one day. I am going to Dallas tomorrow, and back on Wednesday night. Should be fun.

On a brighter note - it is warming up. It will be in the 70's this week, and even in Dallas it will be beautiful. This is the time of year it pays to live in Houston. Remind me I love it here in August, because I will be cursing the heat and humidity.

Enjoy your holiday - I hope someone out there gets to celebrate!

6 comments:

Eric Pearson said...

Isn't February also black history month?

The Duncan Proect said...

what holiday? I am working today but kids are out of school, making it more frustrating to balance family and work...I would be happy if my kids went to school every week day including summer.

Anonymous said...

I know you're probably busy working or seeing your family, but you are welcome to dinner if you can squeeze it in. I'm doing fish.

Anonymous said...

P.S. We are well stocked up on Diet Coke.

Jane said...

That's lame. I'm with you on that one. Nevermind that I had to entertain the kids all day. Equal rights!

Sophie looks a little like your sister who just got engaged--do people say that? Very pretty.

Anonymous said...

Carrie..... I've been looking at your blog lately, and I was thinking..... "wow this is an excellent blog".....but then I thought, "I know exactly what would make this blog even better", so here it is.... more pictures of my future bride.....eh? Yeah so..... just a suggestion, but I highly recommend lots of stories/pictures/embarassing moments of Megan, I think it would make your blog even better.....

You're a good big sister to Megan, she listens to what you have to say, so..... I hope that you're on my team :)

Blake Q