This morning I went out for a run. I strapped on my water belt, yes I am a total nerd, gto my ipod, and did my four miles in the 94% humidity. As I was running I had two observations.
Even in the heat and humidity, it was wonderful to be out running. I kept getting a whiff of Jasmine. It smells so good. We had some at our old house, and we need some at the new house. As I would run by and breathe in the good smells, it would make me smile. The pic is from my neighbors house - they have a big bunch of the stuff and it is great.
Second observation. I am old (if the above paragraph about flowers did not let you know that I am old, this will). I was listening to my ipod, and Only The Good Die Young by Billy Joel came on. I LOVE Billy Joel. I have seen him live twice. I loved all his stuff.
I remember going to the Hill Cumorah Pagent in 1984 with our ward and my friend Heidi came with us. She and I have been friends for uh 28 years now, we were in different wards growing up, but were the same age (except I was two days older so I am the older more mature one of us), so we became great friends. We roomed together at BYU, and still keep in touch today.
Anyway, I digress. On that trip we were listening to said song and she told me she had just read in some book that the lyrics were bad and it was not the type of song a good LDS young woman should listen to . We both said, What? we LOVE this song, and hummed merrily along the whole way up and back. We would show those "old" people that they don't know what they are talking about!
Fast forward 24 years. It comes on today, and it hit me. It is really not appropriate. I love it, and will keep listening to it, but it is not appropriate. Trying to convince a young girl to give up her virginity? Not OK. Which makes me old. I am agreeing with the old people who say things like, "you call this music?" (I have heard myself say that to Ryan on more than one occasion, but can't we all agree that RAP is NOT music?)
So there you go. I am old. I enjoy smelling flowers, and think Billy Joel is inappropriate. It's all downhill from here... Next thing you know I will be commenting on the firmness of the peas for dinner, right Heidi???
4 comments:
Logan and I love Billy Joel too! Running = not so much, I don't know how you do it! I run to a mailbox and call it good.
My friend had tickets to go to his concert last week here in IA, but I called back 2 seconds too late, she had already given them to someone else. I was bummed. I love his music!
todd and i have a list of songs that we love and know every word to that we just look at each other and say, "our parents let us listen to this???" that's it. im old too.
you are old.
didn't he sing that at his BYU concert. doesn't that mean that it is OK to listen to? I use that justficiation for my B-52s music anyway....
In fact, nerd that I am, I think I have an editorial in a scrapbook somewhere about how it was wrong for the BYU students to scream and yell for that song when he sang it...or maybe it is in my wife's scrapbook. Then again, maybe I'm so old that now I'm making things up.
my son loves to listen to another of his songs - Big Shot - and those words aren't so uplifting either I might add.... could we really have been rebels and not even known it?!
I have that jasmine growing on the front of my house. It does make one smile.
Post a Comment