Sunday, April 01, 2007

From Mud to India - a Great Saturday


Yesterday was the Lakewood Elementary Carnival. This the big fundraiser for the school, and the kids get all hopped up to go and play and spend mom and dad's money.


A few weeks ago, the PTO president asked Eric and Ryan to come and be clowns and do balloon animals. Eric said sure, then he let Ryan know. Ryan, being a good sport, said OK. Fast forward to two weeks ago when Eric decided to go to Utah. He talked Ryan into still being a clown, and decided we would work and make a ton of balloon animals to bring up there, which Kelsey and Sophie did, and Ryan could just hand them out.


When we arrived, we found out there was another clown - a "profesional" clown who was paid by the carnival committee to make balloon animals. Ryan was a good sport, stood there and pretty much did nothing because the "professional" clown was handling it. And as for the animals the Pearson Family contributed, no one wanted them. The "professional" clown made what you wanted onsite. That was more appealing than the ones Kelsey and Sophie had made.


Ryan proved he would follow through when he made a committment, and I was proud of him. I am much more bitter than he is, but isn't that how I am? Bitter old woman?


Add to that the fact it had been raining alll day and the playground at the school was a MUD PIT. No, really. Before Caroline even got on one ride, she fell, was stuck in the mud and I had to take her home,clean her up, and go back and try to get our monies worth of our ride bands (another source of bitterness since the prices were set high assuming each family had two children. What about all those mormon families with a ton of kids. Well, one official was heard to say, "You should not have had so many kids." Bitter, Bitter, Bitter.)


I tried to swallow my bitterness, and the kids had a ball. Allie thanked me this morning for a great time yesterday. So, I guess it was worth it if the kids had fun. Of course, I did not volunteer my time to go and plan and put this party on, so I should just keep my bitterness to myself (and anyone who reads this blog).


After the carnival, I went to see The Namesake with Sarah. It was only playing in one theater in Houston, the River Oaks Theater, so off we went. It was a great book and I was hoping the movie would be as good. It was. We had a really good time, and were very proud for getting out of our comfort zone.


At the end of the day, we all had a great day. Busy, crazy, muddy, a little bitter, but fun.

1 comment:

The Duncan Proect said...

I love your attitude, it makes me feel normal. I was so resentful at Thursday's pack meeting I wanted to spit. They gave the boys an award for being on time, which number 1, the child has no control over, since they cannot drive. In addition to which we were on time--on the dot--and they did not call Spencer's name as an on time scout. Bitter, bitter, bitter.