Monday, September 18, 2006

Sprained Ankle

So I am a clutz. This will not come as a surprise to anyone who knows me. This time, however, I have really kind of hurt myself.

While I was in the Austin are last week, I decided I needed to go and run. I had a great run last Monday, and I knew that if I was going to be able to deliver the 6 miles that was required of me on Saturday, I needed to do it. The weather was great - cool and no humidity.

Many times when I am out of town I will just run on the treadmill. If I am unfamiliar with the area, I get a little nervous about running outside. Well, the treadmill did not work and has been mentioned, it was great running weather. I go outside, take two steps, twist my ankle and go down.

Now, I would love to pretend that I went down gracefully, or rolled out of it like Sydney Bristow on Alias, but alas no. I ended up flat on the ground, scrapped knees and hands and a throbbing foot. I even tried to be cool, don't know what I was thinking here, and "run it off." No way, I am too whimpy.

So it swells, and I do not take the recommedation of my sister, the trainer, to wrap it in an ace bandage to help with swelling. Each day, however, the pain is less and even though swollen, I just keep going and getting stuff done.

Now it is Monday, and it aches. I am thinking maybe I should have wrapped it, and tried to stay off (like that is an option with five kids). All I know is I need to come up with an exercise alternative because I was on a roll. Maybe swimming. I will finally listen to Michelle and take a few weeks off. She said maybe after a week I could hit the eliptical machine. Running will be a few weeks away.

Just as I was getting in a little grove - when after three miles I did not want to die - I am grounded. And it is Monday...

No comments: