
Title has nothing to do with post, the kids watched Napolean Dynamite on the way home from the football game last night, and I listened. I must say, even now, that movie makes me laugh. It is so weird, yet somehow funny.
Yesterday was the first day of soccer games. We drew all afternoon games. Not so great in Houston in September. The picture of Allie is in the fourth quarter, and no she did not pour water on her head - that is just how hard she was working.
We signed Allie up for soccer at Klein instead of the YMCA for the fall. Jared Hansen was kind enough to volunteer to coach since Eric is coaching for Sophie's team. So we show up to the first game and Klein does this weird thing. They split each team up into two teams and each team plays with just four players - no goalie. My question is, who thought of that? What is this teaching them? Why do we not want to teach them the rules, teach them about the team, techniques and skills? It seems lame to me, but she likes to play so I will keep my feelings to myself.
Sophie's team lost their game. It was hot, and the kids were dragging, but I must brag. I think Sophie played the best on the field. She has really worked on her soccer skills and I think she is getting quite good. She has some good ball handling skills, she looks to pass and help out the team, and she had stamina for at least the first half. Part of our problem is we only have 10 girls - only two subs. We will have to work on getting more girls.
We finished up the night by taking everyone to the Tomball vs Cypress Creek football game at the great and spacious building, also known as the Berry Center. I will say, that complex is beautiful. They have a jumbo-tron with instant replay. THIS IS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL PEOPLE!!!! It was great to sit and watch the game, see the cheerleaders, the band, the drill team and the whole football experience. I think even the little ones had fun - at least for a while.
As predicted Tomball got their head handed to them 28-7. Their only score was in the 4th with less than two minutes to go. I am sure all the second team defense was in for Creek, but at least we were able to do something. I love football of all types, but really enjoy HS and College. It was a great evening.
There was one disturbing feature. There are two guys on the flag/rifle team who march with the band. Jazz dancing, flag twirling boys. They were good - maybe better than many on the field, but were just a little disturbing to me. I am all for equality, my father-in-law even called me a femi-nazi once, but the image of those boys twirling those flags is a little bothersome. Maybe I am more old school than I think.
No comments:
Post a Comment