Friday, September 08, 2006

Buc-ee's


There is a chain of gas stations/rest stops in Texas named Buc-ee's. One of their claims to fame is the cleanest restrooms on the highway. The thing is - they make good on those claims. There is one in between here and San Antonio, and another in between here and Austin. We managed to hit both this last weekend.

I don't know what it is, but Bucee's makes me smile. Maybe it is a bright spot along the road. The restrooms are, indeed, very clean. There are tons of treats, to choose from, and you don't have to worry about creepy people helping you. It just makes a long trip fun. And since we all know a long car trip is not my idea of fun, any bright spot helps.

Speaking of bright spots, I actually had 2 mintues of "zone" on my run yesterday. For those who are not runners (or joggers) the zone is a place where you feel great in a run. You are not hurting, or wishing the pain would stop. You are not thinking, " how much longer?" You are simply at one with being outside running, and you enjoy it. It is the bright spot, much like Bucee's.

Now, zone is hard to come by. I don't think in the last month I have had any. For the most part it has been torture and pain. This time the zone lasted two minutes - but that gave me hope. It is possible to have zone again and MAYBE, just maybe, I can have a run with more zone than pain. That might be asking too much, but it is all I have to hold on to. So here's is to a small dose of fun - where it be zone or a gas station with a beaver as a mascot!

No comments: