Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Where Did I Go Wrong?

I am having troubles with Kelsey. I have been on her about her room, because, simply stated, she is a slob. She shares a room and it is not fair to Caroline to live with a slob, and some part of the mother in me feels it is my obligation to teach her NOT to be a slob.

In the past, I have dumped everything out of her closet, drawers and under her bed in the middle of her floor. I have cleaned with her to show her how to do it. I have yelled. I have thrown things (mostly soft items which would cause no harm to a child if the item intersected with said child's face). I have threatened to have her live a closet.

Nothing seems to work. Monday, she was told to get her room clean or else she would be grounded. Yesterday, she had to go back upstairs THREE times to "check" on her room. She missed the bus - and of course that was MY fault. This morning I told her she would be grounded if she did not have her room clean.

Well, you can see what her room looks like. This is her bed. I have been known to find all manner of ca-ca in her bed. I have opened up her drawers and found old food, dirty clothes, markers, books and clean clothes all right there (as a matter of fact I have found all that in her bed as well).
This is Caroline's side of the room. Now, this I can live with.
I do understand Kelsey leaves at 6:35 am each day. I know that is early which is why I stress to have the dang thing clean when she goes to bed at night. Well, that is how far I have gotten.
So, I guess I need to follow through and ground her. The problem is, yesterday afternoon she was great with the twins, helped them with their homework, played with them and was very nice. I would like to reward for that, but then I have this room thing.
Any ideas (short of my favorite Bill Cosby "I brought you into this world and I can take you out of it and make another one who looks just like you.")?

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Just reward her for the good and try to turn a blind eye to the bad. Nice use of the word "ca-ca", by the way.

Heather said...

Ohhh, that's tough. I'm big on if I say I'm going to do something, I usually follow through. I love making piles for my kids too, it feels so...so refreshing to have all that "ca-ca" piled up, and then everything else looks so clean. Good luck, she is a good girl though and a great big sister.

The Duncan Proect said...

Today I got this chorewars post in my e-mail. Interesting. It was great to talk to you today. One of my friends has a monthly meeting called "Stitch and Bitch," cause let's face it we all need to do it occasionally.

Jane said...

I just have to take away the electronics for a day. that usually works. or I earn babysitting hours from her.

shamm said...

This the same person who's bed I couldn't short sheet because it was never made?

Anonymous said...

Keep on her...learning organizational skills is something she'll thank you for later when she has a house or apartment of her own! We can't all have maids unfortunately :(

Anonymous said...

i honestly don't think its that bad!!!

:)kelsey

Becca J said...

That makes me laugh... My parents will tell you the biggest problem they had with me was keeping my room clean (just ask..). it's true, I won't deny it.. I think I went through about 5 towels a week, because I never hung them up.. clothes everywhere - leading to massive loads of laundry. geez, what was wrong with me. If it's any comfort, now I'm a neat FREAK and I LOVE cleaning the apartment. I even loved cleaning other things growing up, just not my room... hahaha