
So, here is a question for you. How much do you know about the Vietnam war? If you are anything like me, and aren't we all, the answer was not much. I say was because the book we read for book club this month, Falling Through the Earth, was a memoir about the daughter of a vet.
The book was great - I would highly recommend it. So, for book club we had a vet in our ward come and talk to us about the war, what he experienced, and how it was for him. All in all, it was not so great for those on the front lines. Although, is war ever good for those on the front lines? I won't get into a political discussion of war, but since I do have a loved one on active duty it made me look at things a little differently. The book is a great catalyst to some reasearch on the topic (yes that is me recommending research - what is wrong with me?) It also made me appreciate all the more the sacrifice of our armed forces.
I am leaving for Utah to go and play with my sisters. I am so excited. But, I had to laugh at this exchange I had with Allie and Caroline this morning:
Allie: Mom before you leave you need to give Dad a list.
Me: A list of what? Activities?
Allie: No food. When you are gone he does not buy anything but cake for himself. So, leave him a list of what we will need.
Me: (amused now) I have lots of food downstairs and dad will not need a list of what to buy because he won't have to buy anything.
Allie: But, can you still leave him a list?
This is funny for many reasons. I travel alot. I have not gone anywhere lately, but it is not like this is the first time I am leaving them. And her concern is not that he needs help knowing who is doing what (which is a topic for another day - he is their father for heaven's sake and should know what is going on), but that the quality/quantity of what she will eat will not be up to par. Funny girl. She does not look like she is starving to me!
I am going to cooler climes - at least that is my hope! How about just not 80+ degrees at 5:00 am. That would work for me.
Have a great day.
3 comments:
How fun for you!! I will have both of my sisters here this weekend. It is cooler...enjoy!
Your girls make me laugh!! I miss them!
book club was so great last night. thanks for having him come..i am so motivated to do more research. i hate feeling so ignorant. have fun with your sisters!
Have a great time in Utah. Your post made me so homesick for my bookclub in SLC.
I just read the 3 Stephanie Meyer books. Have you heard about them?
Post a Comment