
September 11 will forever be a day that lives in infamy - much like Dec 7th for another generation. I will always remember where I was, what I was doing, and how I watched the second plane slam into the WTC. Horrible images which will always be with me.
While we were in NYC, we went to ground zero. It is an interesting thing - first it is HUGE. Even though there are cranes, tractors, construction guys and gals everywhere, there is a certain reverence at the site. There are some pictures on the wire fence showing the timeline of the attack. The visitors coming were very somber. You can feel something different there.
As I reflect on that day, it causes me to have great appreciation for the men and women who serve this county in our armed forces. It really hits home since Crazy Uncle Patrick is now a 2nd Lt in the Army. While he is going through 2nd LT school, because clearly the FOUR years of leadership training he got at West Point was not enough, and other various army training now - it won't be long before he is with his unit in Washington. He will be headed for the middle east with all that implies.
Take a minute today to ponder our freedoms, our country and those we love.
Picture is of the kids from Liberty Island with lower Manhatten in the backgroud - a hole where the towers should be. And of course, our favorite Crazy Uncle Patrick!
1 comment:
nice post - I would like to go to ground zero... I bet it really brings to life the magnitude of the tragedy.
Post a Comment