Sunday, September 02, 2007

Have You Heard?


That we have sold our souls to the devil? The devil in this case is club soccer. We had a friend in the Colleyville ward who likened cub soccer to the devil, and now that we are in it I can see why.

Anyway, we are in Austin this weekend for the Labor Day Cup. It was the LONGEST three games of soccer I have ever sat and watched. Why? Because we got cobbered each and every time. This is the youngest group, the U11's, and the Houston area is trying a new concept of 8 v 8. As the name suggests you only have 8 on the field, and the theory is each girl gets more touches with the ball which will increase skills.

Good right? Except, not all of TX adopted this way of playing. So, when we come to tournaments it is 11 v 11 which means they take all the teams and mix people around. So, Sophie was playing with only some of her team, and most of another team. All does not matter, just made for a lot of LONG games. Most of the teams we play are always 11 v 11. (do I sound like one of those mothers? Heaven help me).
The picture is Sophie waiting for some action when she was a forward. She waited a LONG time.

This picture pretty well sums it up. Yes, that would be the goalie from the other team. While it was very rude and I had hoped it would fire up our girls, it does sum it up.


Now, this picture proves the point that I need to get a great SLR with a really good zoom lens. You can see Sophie's pony tail out there.

The bright spot? We played at 7:30 am each day, so it was not HOT and LONG. That is why hte first picture is dark - it was before the sun came up.

So, now the games are done, and I think the girls think this is the best part of the Labor Day Cup! Ryan and Eric went to Austin to watch the UT game, and since Eric was not prepared and cheap they listened from outside the stadium. I still think it was fun for Ryan and gave him some motivation to work hard at school.

Enjoy your Labor Day.

2 comments:

Jonah said...

Sounds like a fun weekend!! I wish we were there to cheer her on!! Go Sophie!

Jane said...

The things we do for our kids! She sure looks cute in the uniform!