The beginning of my running story is found at the YMCA. The YMCA and my friend Sarah. The fact that it began with my friend Sarah and not Eric is a point of contention in the Pearson household. Of course, Eric did not want to run/walk with me. He did not want to spoonfeed how and what I should do to run. He did not have the patience to help me build up miles - but all of that is besides the point.
When we stared running, we were in this running group at the YMCA. We would meet on a Tuesday at 11:30. We ran down Cypresswood and back. The really "good" runners would do a Grant Road run each time. We started with just 1 mile and worked up. We would look at the "good" runners with awe. We thought there was no way we would ever make it to Grant Road - or I guess I should not speak for her. I did not think I would ever make it to Grant Road.
Then I did. I worked up to running a marathon relay. Then I ran a 1/2 marathon in Fort Worth, with Becca's help. Then I dropped off the running radar. I am sure I had a good reason - laziness or something. I did manage to run 1 other 1/2 two years ago, but I did not really train and it was a challenge.
As part of my 40 and fabulous campaign, I have picked back up the running. And for the first time, I have really loved it. Strange but true. I enjoy going out and running with Eric - he will now go slow with me and has more patience. I have been building up, but my longest run had been six miles.
Eric has this route - the Longwood Run. It is nine miles from our house. When I did my first 1/2 I ran it once. It was a major accomplishment. I have only run it a couple more times in the years since then. I have held it up how I held up the Grant Road run.
Yesterday, I did not get to run my seven because of lightening. I did a few at the YMCA, but got a wild hair that this morning I would run a Longwood. This was a little crazy because I was not really there in my training, but I thought what the heck. I would just jump in. If worse came to worse I would walk a whole bunch. Eric was going to go with me, but I got impatient and left too early this morning.
I am proud to report I did it. The whole thing. I did walk, but it was my regularly scheduled interval so I did not feel bad. I even did it faster than I ever have. I feel so empowered. I feel like I can do anything. That is what running does for me - It makes me feel like I am on top of the world! More than feeling good about myself physically, running lifts me emotionally.
So Grant Road - no biggie. The Longwood - no biggie. Watch out world here I come. Now, if I could just walk down the stairs...
5 comments:
good for you! stop by and see us when you get tired along one of your runs sometime.
I am totally inspired by you. You are now and have always been fabulous. You make me want to start running again.
Way to go! That's great your hubby will run with you now... Keep it up, I can't wait to hear about your 1/2 marathon ventures in the future.. is there a marathon scheduled in there somewhere??
Longwood, as in the neighborhood? That huge windy neighboorhood? And you ran that from your house??
If I had a million dollars to give, I'd give it to you, because that is incredible!!! I pat myself on the back when I walk a mile!! haha.
Carrie- check out everythingispink.blogspot.com She has a fabulous long blog entry on training to run her first marathon--you will love it, she is a real woman, a little overweight, not a runner, but she trained & she did it! very inspiring!
Post a Comment