Monday, December 18, 2006

On Being the Eldest

I am the oldest child in a clan of 12. Yes that is 10 children, plus two parents which equals 12. I have a sister who is three years my younger, and then there was an eight year span after which my parents had eight kids in 10 years (or something like that). My teenage years were spent watching little ones, changing diapers, and swearing I would never have a whole bunch of kids myself - that got me real far.

Now, all those little ones are big ones and I will say they are all great with my kids. They love to be with their aunts and uncles. We were driving in the car the other day and Allie asked me what my brother's names were. We went through the list - Matthew, Mark, Michael, Patrick and Steven. Out of the blue she says, "Uncle Mark I just love that guy!" Of course she loves all her uncles, but this is who she singled out at the time.

Mark, the guy she just loves, has taken the month of December off - it is the December of Mark for you Seinfeld fans. He is threatening to eat a block of cheese as big as a car battery stripped naked to the waist. Anyway, he came by to visit today. The kids were excited to see him and in the course of conversation he offered to take some of them home with him.

I don't know how serious he was, but I am the mother of five so if someone offers to take some of the brood I jump at the chance. I did give him another out, and then said he would take them. He wanted to take the twins and Sophie wanted to come as well so she tagged along. I think the twins were happy to have somone "older" with them (I am not sure what that says about Mark, but hey).

So, Mark, Sophie and the twins are on their way for a rip roaring time in Houston. He is going to bring them back tomorrow afternoon. Now that is service. It makes all those years of watching him more than worth it. The question is will he survive? There are many who have been brought down with less. But since Mark is sure he could take on a large group of 12 year old boys whohave an average knowledge of kung-fu movies, I think he can handle two five year olds and a nine year old.

Here is to a night of quiet and calm, and maybe a date with my husband. THANK YOU UNCLE MARKIE!!!

1 comment:

The Duncan Proect said...

Sweet. Last week Steve came to town and took Spence and Michaela to the LA auto show. Doug and I saw our first non-animated movie in 8 months. Cool.