
We all have them. The one that causes problems. Or the one with problems. Or in my case, the one with the funky weird medical stuff.
Caroline has been complaining of headaches. I ignored her - she complains a lot. She has been bugging her teacher, and came home from school in tears twice a couple of weeks ago. So, finally I decided to not be a bad mom and take her to the optometrist. I was sure it was an eye thing.
I took her to my friendly Wal-Mart optometrist. I took Sophie there when she needed glasses for a while and it was fine. He seemed nice, competent and it was close and easy (my two favorite adjectives for a doctor). He said she was fine.
Phase two, the same day I take her to the pediatrician. We go through all the basics, and she says nothing is popping out at her. She prescribed a decongestant (since we live in the allergy capital of the world) and we were going to try that for a few days to see if it helped, and then she was going to order an MRI to make sure there was nothing in her head (remember this is the one with the peeing problems, and she has had other medical stuff when she was younger).
We went a few days and she was not complaining. I, of course, did not bring it up since I did not want to go looking for trouble - hello. All was well for about a week. Then the complaining, crying began again. I called to get the MRI scheduled, but our Dr was out of the office and the Dr covering was not comfortable ordering an MRI if he did not see her. WHATEVER. Our Dr would be back when I got back this weekend, so we were going to take care of it on Monday.
Since I was going out of town, I took some decongestant up to nurse, and told her my story of woe. She took the medicine and said she would give it to Caroline - I was hoping to avoid a having to come home episode.
ANYWAY (get to the point Pearson), Eric just got a note home from the school. It stated Caroline had flunked her vision test twice and had 40/40 vision and needed glasses.
My two major problems with this:
First, why did no one tell me this when I was emailing the school discussing our headache issue. She was going to nurse on regular basis. HELLO.
Second, is the Wal-Mart doc on drugs? I know the school test is not conclusive, but something is crazy here. I am torn between taking her back to the Wal-Mart and having him redeem himself, and finding a new optometrist. I think I will just take her somewhere else, but I paid my money for Dr Wal-Mart. Was he not paying attention? Does he not do kids well?
The upshot is I am going to put off MRI until we get another opinion on the eyes and try that route. It would have saved me a lot of time and Caroline a lot of pain if we could have figured this out earlier....... I just need to find a time to do it when I am home. I am in for two days next week then we go to FL. We get back and I am home one day before I leave again.
Why can't anything be easy???
7 comments:
oh gosh, poor girl! I hope y'all can figure it out...
Okay Spence had the vision screening and he came out 20-70. He couldn't even see the board. I asked him why he didn't say anything and he told me he would walk by once and then he was just so smart he didn't really need it.
Now to Michaela, she had a cancre (sp) sore that wouldn't heal, she complained plenty. I didn't pay attention. One day I get a glimpse of her gum. There is a big white spot, I look closer. One of her teeth did not descend and it is coming out of her gums.
Loser mother!
As much as I'm against Walmart at the moment, I can't believe that some parent volunteer or even a school nurse could make an optical evaluation that is better than the actual optometrist. The school is not even using the same equipment. Strange. Does she only get headaches at school?
We went to Dr. Bridges at Lakewood Vision on 249 just up from Chick-fil-a...
He gives lots of parenting advice that we ignore...but he did a good job with the eyes.
Good luck. Sorry you have to go through all that. Hope she's feeling better and it's just glasses she needs!
she is very excited to get glasses. it's all she could talk about. she really wants to try some on. haha too bad no "pictures of my brain..or is it an xray?" for now!
I have to agree with Sarah's comment...at my school I AM the one who does vision screenings. Yes I was "trained", but I am no optometrist! But I am hoping she just needs glasses and nothing more serious. Poor girlie!! And I guess I should say Poor Carrie as well.
If your insurance covers it or most of it, go for some more medical opinions, eye exam, etc. Yeah, you have to run around, but always better safe than sorry & you can rest better knowing you did what you could.
We've paid medical bills up the kazoo for the past year for Adam & his weird liver/kidney thing all to find out that he was basically OK...I'd do it all over again for the peace of mind.
Could she have an allergy to something in the classroom? chalk? dry erase ink? cleaning chemicals? I've heard of kids having problems like that.
Post a Comment