
Today is my dad's 60th birthday. While we were in Dallas and the whole family was together we celebrated by having a "roast" for my dad. It was great fun (I think even he had fun). This is a poster the girl grandchildren made for Grandpa. They had great fun making it.
My dad is a fox news watching, right wing, the media is too liberal type of guy. So, we had this on the wall when he came in. It of course was a fair and balanced roast. Somewhere along the line, we started calling him Big Al. I actually think Eric and I were the ones who started it, but I am sure someone will tell you it was them. Whoever it was, it has stuck. We even refer to Allie as Big Al and that used to confuse her when we were around my dad. She finally came to grips with it and told him she would share her name with him.

Each of the kids got to talk about the things we have learned from my dad, and what we love about him. Most were the humorous characteristics he has - and there are many. He is a very exceptional individual. He has ten kids and finds time for each of us - even now (he even tries to come to the grandkid stuff). He loves to support his kids in all their activities and I think he was there for almost all of my activities. When I was in HS, he was the bishop, was working in NYC and commuting from NJ. He still took the time to come and support whatever I was doing - which for your information was twirling a baton in HS. (Laugh all you want, but I had fun - and I twirled fire!).
When we were younger, it was just my sister and I (she refers to this time frame as the golden years) and my dad was trying to make one of us an athlete. We played EVERY sport out there, and neither one of us was any good. He did not give up, and patiently took us from sport to sport. Laurie eventually became a dancer, and the athlete of the family turned out to be Megan (sorry boys, but you know it is true).

I tried to find a current picture of my dad, but could not find one. He is alwasy running around doing things, so does not stop for a photo. Instead, I am sharing my favorite picture of me and my dad. (no grammar correction required) These were the REAL golden years - there was no one around but me. My mom worked to support us while my dad was in school, and he took care of me each night when she went to work. I am sure we spent many hours together just the two of us. Although I can't remember them, I know it helped to create the foundation of our relationship today.
My dad taught me unconditional love by his example, because let me tell you I did some pretty crappy stuff in my youth, and he was always there to give me a hug and tell me he loved me (unless I was even 2 seconds late for curfew, then the mean dad would come out).
So, Happy Birthday Dad! Thank you for your love and support. I hope I can be the type of parent to my children you have been to me!
5 comments:
Carrie, I did not know you could twirl fire. Who is laughing, that is a secret talent!
How totally cute are you in the baby picture!!! A great tribute.
I would recognize that smile anywhere...you still look the same as you did in your baby picture! That is so sweet about your Dad.
Did you photoshop jean onto Dad in that picture? We all know what he was really wearing.
Did you photoshop jean onto Dad in that picture? We all know what he was really wearing.
Post a Comment