Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Snowstorm That Wasn't

When I was in high school we lived in New Jersey. We did get snow, and it was cold. I can remember when the news would predict a big storm coming, and warn that school would probably be closed, it hardly ever materialized. It was when you were not expecting it that it happened.

I tried to impart this wisdom to my young yesterday, as they kept chanting, "We are not going to school tomorrow, We are not going to school tomorrow..." I told them, when you expect it, it won't happen.

We woke up to cold - bitter cold for Houston (31 degrees) but dry as a bone. No snow, sleet, ice or any other school closing precipitation. When I woke Ryan and Kelsey up this morning they were not happy, but the grumpiest by far was Sophie. Oh well, maybe tonight we can get some of that much anticipated ice/sleet/snow.

It is not going to get any warmer today, in fact it could get even colder. As someone who loathes the cold, just ask my colleagues in New York, that does not make me happy. However, I have the opportunity to sit here in my nice warm house, drinking hot chocolate and pondering my work day while listening to the wind and cold outside. Not such a bad vantage point. It could be worse.

No comments: