(old picture of Sophie slide tackling - I just love to see it)
It was, as weekends go, not too crazy. It was Caroline's last game and she did not feel well, so she missed it. We have the end of the season party on Tuesday and we are done. Allie had a game, and she did well (I guess - Eric was in charge of those two and I took Sophie.)
I took Sophie to her game. Due to a mix up with Regional Band (taking 3 hours longer than we were told) she missed her soccer game. Then, a game that was rained out was rescheduled for Sunday. Sophie does not want to play soccer on Sunday - especially if it is during church. We all know this is her choice, because Eric and I are kind of sinners and would let her play no problem. But, our righteous child, we call her our Nephi, did not want to play. It was a big game. They lost, but she was strong in her conviction.
As punishment for missing the two games, although we did tell the coach she would miss the Sunday game, she was benched almost the entire game. She played 4 minutes. The trainer (think coach) told her if he put her in she would still have to sit out another half in a future game. She was willing to sit it out - then he put her in. If he sits her out another whole half, I will be livid. Now mind you she has not missed a practice - she has been 3 times a week every week.
This has been a teaching moment for the both of us. She is at an age where the trainers do NOT want to hear from the parents - they put the responsibility on the girls. I get that. I applaud that. I made her call the coach and tell her she would miss Sunday. I told her she needed to talk to said trainer and work things out with him. She is terrified of him. She told me she had a dream he told her to choose between church and soccer.
BUT, as the momma bear I want to walk over there and tell him to stop being such a jerk to my daughter who, at only 12, is standing up for her beliefs. She is taking on things that many adults struggle with.
On the sidelines, the parents were livid with him for benching her. They wanted her in - not because she is a star, but she is consistent and smart and adds to the overall strategy of the game (can you tell I am a proud parent?) When she made it on the field all the parent cheered her on. It was great.
I guess the good thing is, the other parents being so mad calmed me down. I just sat there thinking, this is a good teaching moment. I just need to keep reminding myself of that!
My dad has a friend who says club soccer is of the devil. I am starting to agree...
5 comments:
I am so proud of Sophie. Way to go!!
More soccer fun . . .
Way to go Sophie.
That does make you mad, but good for you Sophie for standing your ground!!
I just got your blog off of Danielle's and happy to see that you have one too. :) As if I wasn't already so impressed with your adorable, Sophie... then i had to read this. What an amazing girl she is!! You should be proud... I know you are!
I want to be Sophie when I grow up...on a lot of different levels. She was one of those "wise babies" wasn't she?
Post a Comment