Donny Osmond won Dancing With The Stars last night. This season I have watched almost every week. It has become a tradition with the girls. In the past I have watched a few, and had my fill. I have never voted. That all changed this year - I even found myself voting on FIVE phones one night (the night he did really horrible - it must have worked cause he moved on).
Why you might ask? Well, to begin with I am of the age when Donny Osmond was the bomb - he was the first famous mormon I knew of. That was very intriguing to me. My sister Laurie and I watched the Donny and Marie show EACH and EVERY Friday night. If it did not come on we were devastated! We had Donny and Marie albums (for you youngsters that was the thing you got music on before ipodsMP3 players, and CD's. We even had the Osmond brothers records. We were TRUE fans.
Then, when I was 14, Donny Osmond and his wife Debbie moved into my ward (congregation). For real. They came to church every Sunday (OK most Sundays). He was doing a play in NYC (Little Johnny Jones which bombed on Broadway, but was good to me since it brought him to NJ). My dad was the Bishop of our ward, and when asked by Brother Osmond if he knew of a good babysitter he of course offered up my services.
Remember, he was my pre-teen idol. Now I was able to babysit his kids. A limo would come and pick me up - a stretch. I watched his two oldest - Don (they called him Donald back then) and Jeremy. It was indeed a 14 year old dream come true. He even told the people in the church nursery that the only people who could get his kids out of the nursery were him, his wife and me. Aahh. Of course, the show opened and closed the same day. They packed up and left town overnight. If you read his biography that was a dark time in his life - but a dream come true for a 14 year old mormon girl from Oradell New Jersey.
So, yes I wanted him to win. Yes I watched each week. And yes I voted. And yes I am happy he won.
Now you know my big claim to fame.

7 comments:
I remember that! I've even told people about your brush with fame! I was glad he won also.
Wait- what?!?! I have never heard this story!! First, I didn't know you ever lived in NJ, and second- I can't believe this whole story! WOW! I had noo clue. That is awesome.
I thought I knew everything about you. I love that you had such a meaningful connection with Donny. I was very happy last night when he won. When a mormon wins it validates us all.
I thought I knew everything about you. I love that you had such a meaningful connection with Donny. I was very happy last night when he won. When a mormon wins it validates us all.
Had I known this earlier Carrie, I would have tried to be friends with you much earlier!! I was/am a huge Donny fan as well. I too, have all the records...a Donny barbie, and have fond memories of the show. You are my idol!!
great story... now I must go... turn up the volume on my Christmas music...of course I am listening to my Osmonds Christmas album!
wow! well, i knew you were cool before hearing this but now.... well, you are beyond cool.
Post a Comment