Tuesday, December 09, 2008

I Am Now A Real Mom

But, as you will see, not a good one.

You would think bearing five children, two at the same time, would make me a real mom. I tended to think so, but that changed last night.

In Tomball ISD, the Pride of Texas in case you are wondering, you need to take art, choir or band in 6th grade. Pretty common. Both Ryan and Kelsey took choir. The sixth grade choir was not fabulous, but not anything offensive to the ears.

Sophie, in her quest to be different, took band. I got to sit through my first 6th grade band concert. Now I will say, it was better than I thought - these kiddos have been playing for just a few months. I was prepared for the worst, and was pleasantly surprised. The band teachers must have infinite patience. We had many squeaks and strange sounds coming from the band, but also a recognizable tune.

As I mentioned before. I do not think you can earn your mother stripes until you participate in such an event. Whew, glad I made it.

If only I could be counted among the good parents.... I am struggling with the twins, the babies, thing one and two, whatever you want to call them. Sunday morning I asked them to shower, and I went to get ready. They are almost 8 - perfectly capable of getting in the shower and dressed in the am. Well, as we are almost ready to leave I have Sophie go and check on them. Not only have the NOT showered, they are NOT dressed and playing a game in a room full of filth. That was the last straw - full MOMMY MONSTER came out and I raged like I had not in a long time. We were late and I was pretty sure we should skip because NO ONE was in a very spiritual mood after that.

They came home, cleaned their room and made nice. Fast forward to this morning. I got them up a little early to help our morning routine. They ate. They got dressed. They were sent up to brush their hair and teeth. 15 minutes go by. No twins. I walk upstairs and they are, I kid you not, sitting there getting OUT barbies to start a whole big game (forget Maria comes today and we are getting the house picked up anyway...) So, once again I lost it.

This time I have acted. There are NO toys in their room. None. I did not take the books, but I might have to do that as well. They are all safely packed away.

I have threatened, you know when you say stupid things you know you will never follow through with that you regret as they are spilling out of your mouth but you can't stop, to take back all their Christmas toys. If I was a little meaner, I might. Could I really make 2 almost 8 year olds sit there and watch everyone open gifts on Christmas? Today I am mad enough to say yes, but I am sure I will soften. Maybe.

So, why oh why do they have to be so disobedient? Will this make an impression? I remember doing such a thing to all the other kids as some point. I think it worked for some, not for others. Where to go from here...

The good news - their room should stay clean for a while! Now, will they be able to get their booties moving in the morning? Only time will tell.

4 comments:

Becca J said...

oh man, please blog their reactions when they come home to no toys!

Jennifer said...

I'm glad to hear that other Moms rage as well. I thought I was the only one.

Laurie said...

And to follow up on Rebecca's comment, take a picture of their faces when they see an empty room!

Sorry for the rotten few days. Some days I wonder why...Why...WHY!!!

Jonah said...

Oh goodie, I'll be a real mom tomorrow...Rachel has her Orchestra Concert. I have to say I have the same worries...alot of squeeks. But I am glad Rachel chose the cello and not the violin. It is a much more pleasant low-toned squeek.

And as for the ranting...I'm surprised all of my children are not already in therapy...