Monday, October 16, 2006

School Projects - OUT OF CONTROL


I think we have hit the bottom in terms of school projects. Ryan is taking advanced science - chemistry this year. Their project for this six weeks is to make a mole. Now in chemistry speak, a mole is a unit of measurement. But some teacher who had nothing better to do with their time, came up with the idea that they should make these kids sew a mole, name it and dress it in a costume.

WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH CHEMISTRY??? How does a 16 year old boy learn anything from watching his mother sew a mole? I tried to tell him this was going to be his project, but than I took pity on him. This is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. This is a waste of my time, his time and if they are taking time out of learning about real chemistry to do this crap, no wonder our TAKS scores have gone down!

Now, since he had to be creative, meet Elder Mole, a Molemon missionary. I am guessing that he will be the only one who is going to bring a missionary, so I guess he should get extra credit for creativity.

That is my rant for today. I am off the Dallas to demo at the Dallas Public Library. No pressure - it will just either make or break my year next year. No pressure...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

amen...I did the same thing and learned nothing. ask michael what he thought of this project

shamm said...

So, I get home last night and my daughter is sewing something that, coming from Idaho, I tell her looks like a potato. She tells me it is a mole. I ask why she is making a potato called a mole and she tells me it is for chemistry.... I say - seems like I remember someone who ranted about this particular project...must have been Carrie....sure enough...

So, it ain't just Texas that does STUPID projects that waste kids time when they could be learing things that will help them on college entrance exams or actually be usefull for them in life....

sheesh....