The alarm went off at 5:00 am and I thought, as I have the last few mornings that being the parent stinks sometimes.
As a teen, like most, I took for granted what sacrifices my parents made. I got a job and of course it was no big deal for mom or dad to come and pick me up each night from the mall at 10:00 pm. It is no big deal to get them to drive me to my friends houses at all hours of the day and night. It was no big deal to take me to dances across the state. I just did not see this as a problem. And might I mention that the whole time I was a teenager, there was always a baby in the house. From the time I was 13 until I was 18 my mother had four children. So, add in the fact they were up at night with babies which just makes me tired thinking about it.
Well now I am the parent and let me tell you it is a pain. Of course I want my son to attend seminary - heck it is a sacrifice for him to get up each morning at 5:00 am, go to seminary, go to church, practice football and then come home for homework. But, why do I have to pay the price? Once again, I do not remember that in my mother's contract.
Of course, when football is done I will want him to try and get a job, but again sacrifice on my part. And he is just the first. Imagine our horror when we have FOUR TEENAGE GIRLS under one roof!! (that is a big what were we thinking)
So, I guess the point to all this rambling is a thank you to my mom and dad for the sacrifices. I hope at some point, my children will have teenagers and they will have the same feelings - gratitude for the past and exhaustion for the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment