


I have always loved Christmas. I love to decorate the house, enjoy the whole Christmas thing. This year, however, has been hard. We were gone for Thanksgiving, I went out of town right when we came back and I came home from Louisiana sick on Friday night. The last thing I wanted to tackle was decorating for Christmas.
But, I have had a couple of kids dogging me to do it. Sophie, in particular, has really wanted to get the decorations up. So, I have started. I put up the stockings, started with some stuff. The tree is going to be a big project...
I was working on this early this morning. As Allie and Caroline came downstairs they were SO excited to see Christmas stuff. They wanted to look at our stuff - which is nothing that fancy or great. Allie even told me that the advent calendar goes here, pointing to a shelf, and the nativity (such as this one is - Playmobile) goes here.
All this Christmas stuff bring back memories for them. This is what Christmas is. Yes it is presents, but it is the stockings, the nativity scenes and the memories of years past.
A few years ago I got the stocking hangers at Target. It took me a while to get everyone's pictures in (I gave up on having Sarah Jones type professional looking pics, and went with a Carrie Pearson look). Eric would not have his picture taken. He was being a grinch, so that is the photo I stuck in his stocking holder.
This morning Allie looked at him in ALL seriousness. "Dad you need to get your picture taken like us. I don't like you not having your picture. You love Christmas and you don't want people to think you are the grinch!" Of course, she reached him when I could not. He got a smile on his face and said he would do it.
The point to this rambling? I do have one, it is just buried. This morning made me realize that all the decorations which I think are nice and I need to get to, matter to my kids. That is what Christmas is. The feelings it invokes, the memories, and the excitement can't be touched.
So, I will go and stick my head in that darn Christmas tree to see if I can get it working. We will trim the tree and sing carols. And hope that in five or ten years, Allie will still get that same look in her eyes when she sees her stocking. Because, that makes it ALL worth it!
4 comments:
I LOVE it! I love decorating too. Although right now I mainly decorate my classroom. Tell your sweet kiddos I said hi and can't wait to see them. :) I miss y'all terribly!
I love the Christmas season! I think the decorating and the feelings of excitement that it brings is one of the best parts. I love your stocking holders and I love Eric's grinch picture. But I guess Allie's probably right, and he should have a real one like everyone else, for her sake, anyway. :)
So Eric to not comply with the picture taking. I have missed your blogging lately. I hope all is well.
I heard Miss Caroline has glasses...isn't that blog worthy? :)
Post a Comment