Sunday, October 31, 2010

Region Band

Sophie is a very driven, talented, young woman - I am not sure where she gets all her talent.  She puts 110% into whatever she does.

With soccer, cross country, school, and church she has also taken up band.  She decided she wanted to be in band in 6th grade - our other kids had chosen choir so this was our first jump into band.  She tried out for, and made, percussion.  I guess this is a huge honor - it is what most kids want to do, and not that many make it.  I STUPIDLY thought it would be the cheapest - note to self NOT SO MUCH.

So, she has been playing various things for the last three years - triangle, ratchet, various drums, marimba, etc.  Each year the members of the honor band at the junior high try out for region band.  Last year I think there were two or three kids from WillowWood who made region band - so it is difficult process.  None of them were in percussion.

Going into the try-outs this year Sophie really wanted to make it.  I had no problem with her doing a so-so job and not adding anything else to our plate - is that wrong?  Anyway, she is not programmed that way.  She made region band and was ranked 10 out of the 200 percussionist who tried out.  She was at try-outs all day on Saturday.  We left the school at 5 after having been there since 8 (well, she was there that long.  I just dropped off and picked up)  Three of the kids in WillowWood mad the region band.  She was the only percussionist.

I am so proud that she always gives her all.  She is a well-rounded young woman.  Even when I give her an out and tell her she can just slide by, she does not.  I am pretty sure she can do anything she puts her mind to!

Congrats Sophie - I don't have any pictures of her in her band uniform.  I will have to work on that for later.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Wow, congrats Sophers!

Julia said...

Wow..that Sophie can do anything. Awesome!

Laurie said...

Congrats!!!