Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Yes, I Am A Nerd


Sunday was a down day - I laid around all day. Did nothing. Tried to recharge my very drained batteries. While flipping through the channels, I come across West Side Story on TCM.

I LOVE West Side Story. I even have the soundtrack - on vinyl. Sophie came down and watched with me. She is not so happy with the ending, but not everything ends happily.
As I think of the music, I think of each song and think that is my favorite. One Hand One Heart. Tonight. The Jets. Gee, Officer Krupke. A Boy Like That... I could go on and on. If you have not seen it - GO AND RENT IT!

I must have stolen the record from my mother - she also loves musical theater. I think of WSS and think it is really the first musical I fell in love with and paved the way for my love of musicals. When I become obsessed with one, I listen over and over. Ask the girls in our soccer carpool who now know all the songs from Wicked.
So, yes I am a nerd. But maybe Sophie can follow in my footsteps and fondly remember watching West Side Story on lazy Sunday with her mom. She already loves Wicked. I can create another generation of nerds - my ultimate goal as a mother!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait till you son tries to teach other kids the songs from Les Miz on the bus while going to a field trip. Major cool index factor. We are going to see Les Miz at Tuacahn next Sunday--so excited. Since you love musicals--try cleaning your house to Serious channel 6077 Broadway Music Channel. I love it!

Anonymous said...

Meant to say Saturday. What self respecting theatre in Southern Utah would perform on a Sunday.

Debbie said...

you have got to see Mama Mia then...some of the singing could be better but I loved it and the music was great!