Monday, January 17, 2011

The Marathon Muthas

I have a wonderful group of women I run with - 3 to 4 times a week we meet as some ungodly hour, like 5:00 AM and we go and run.  We needed a name, so we are the Marathon Muthas (for a short time we were the marathong muthas, but decided maybe that was not appropriate - funny but not appropriate).

Some people were having big birthdays this year and decided it would be fun to run a full marathon.  I am a half marathon type of gal.  I am old, and that seems like enough to me.  Well, they talked me into signing up for the Houston Full Marathon.  We were not accepted - it was a lottery and we were not good enough for them.  There was a USAFIT marathon a few weeks earlier which three very brave souls decided to attempt.

They not only attempted it, but they kicked its butt and finished.  It was cold and raining the WHOLE time, but they stayed in there and finished.  They came by after to show off their medals, take an ice bath (i.e. get in my pool) and share their post run aches with me.


Marathon Muthas - Vicki, Allison and Jennifer post run....  I think they look pretty dang awesome!

Yes it was cold - look at Vicki's face.

Entertain us now Carrie - in the rain no less - while we soak for 10 minutes.
 And in case you think the human body is made to do this, it is not.  These warriors started the race with wet feet and then ran 26.2 miles....  This is what happens (if you are squeamish click away).....


Yucky I know - but kind of cool at the same time
 Way to go Muthas.  Now we have to find a race all of us can run - but only 13.1 OK?

No comments: