When Eric and I decided to get married in October, 1987, we planned on an August wedding. I would come home from BYU, work, and then we would get married. We were then informed the temple would be closing for ONE YEAR for renovations, and we would have to get married in April, or wait a year. Of course waiting a year seemed impossible, so we set our date for April 15, 1988. This date was difficult since BYU classes were not over, and I had to take all my finals before then, but it all worked.
Shortly after that, Eric ran the Dallas Whiterock Marathon in a blistering 2:52 which qualified him for the Boston Marathon. I believe this was his first time to qualify - but I have not fact checked that, so I could be wrong. Anyway, the marathon was the same weekend as our wedding, so running Boston was not an option - something his brother could not fathom (side note this same brother did NOT attend our wedding, but did go to Boston for the marathon instead). But, we were in love.....
![]() |
| April 15, 1988 |
Eric has qualified once or twice since then, but we have never been in a position to go to Boston. In 2010, he once again ran the Dallas Whiterock Marathon in 3:16 - which was a qualifying time since age factors into the equation. He really wanted to go, so we were off to Boston to celebrate our 24th wedding anniversary - oh and so he could run the marathon.
![]() |
| Number pickup, April 15 2012 (sorry it is a cell phone pic) |
Boston is considered the grandaddy of all marathons. It is hard to qualify, hard to actually get in, and it is a hard course. It is a huge accomplishment to qualify let alone run, so we were happy to finally be there. Of course, this is the year it was 87 degrees at the finish - yes 87. Last year it was 45. Go figure. I do think this allowed Eric to slow down and enjoy it. He did not love his time, but he did have a good time.
It was an exciting race to watch - and it was exciting to be there. I am glad Eric was finally able to check this off the bucket list. I think we will be back, but if not he can say he has done it!




1 comment:
You guys seriously haven't changed.
Post a Comment